What if I do not make a will?
Please ask for one of our flow charts to see most eventualities, but here are some examples
A. Married? Yes - with children
1. Spouse gets first £125,000.00 of your estate
2. Personal effects
3. Life interest in one half of what is left. On death of spouse goes to children.
4. The other half of what is left goes to children at the age of 18.
B. Married? Yes - without children
1. Spouse gets first £200,000.00 of your estate plus personal effects.
2. Parents alive? They get half the balance and spouse gets the other half
3. No parents but brothers and sisters alive? Brothers and sisters get half the balance and spouse gets the other half.
C. Single? Yes - with children
1. Children share equally at 18 years age
D. Single? Yes - with parents but no children
1. Parents share equally
E. Single? Yes, no parents and no children but brothers & sisters
1. Brothers and sisters share equally
Please note that persons who are “common law spouses”, i.e. not married receive nothing, as do “gay” relationships no matter how long. There is NO relationship under the intestacy rules!
Please make an appointment to see us if you need more advice and details.